Thursday, July 4, 2024

My Days

Events in the news are bothering me so much... no, check that, it should be "Pundit reactions to events in the news..." that I've turned off the news.  After Donald Trump's convictions, I was wishing the election would be tomorrow.  I no longer feel that way.  

As if retirement wasn't stressful enough!  For a pastime, I should have chosen a different book instead of William L. Shirer's Berlin Diary.  Either the news or the job status would have required adjustment, but I found that both together aroused an intense feeling of dread, which has mostly been suppressed with the help of sertraline.  Last time I took it, I got off of it quickly because I didn't like feeling a lack of joy.  Now, I greatly want to feel a lack of dread.

"Touch grass," you say?  I've done something better:  "Touch cats."  On the way there, I didn't dare turn on the radio, instead putting on a podcast about John Ford from Turner Classic Movies.  Another TCM podcast on the way home.

I look at Xitter to try to get accustomed to the reactions, or to desensitize myself against the "Cry more" and "Cope and seethe" remarks.  

Thinking for myself:

2016:  Democrats ran the one candidate who Trump could defeat.  A woman, and a Clinton.

2024:  GOP runs the one candidate who Biden can defeat.  An equally old person, a convicted felon, adjudicated rapist, and someone whose act has worn thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment