Saturday, May 4, 2024

Time Marches On

Headline I did not expect to see, or "another passphrase I don't dare use now":  

"OMAHA'S LATIN DRAG SCENE"


The philosophy behind Jerry Seinfeld's comedy and his life.  I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the guy who co-created the "show about nothing" also believes his life has been about nothing much, either:

"I really have adopted the Marcus Aurelius philosophy, which is that everything I’ve done means nothing. I don’t think for a second that it will ever mean anything to anyone ten days after I’m dead."


The original sheet music from Drumeo for 16-note rock beats and fills, followed by an edited version where I've added some, um, notes.   



In lesson 2.5, we were taught 10 beats and 10 fills.  The fastest was 80 beats per minute (bpm).  Speaking for myself, I figured the intent was to be able to read the music and play the rhythms at the designated rate.  

In lesson 2.7, the final lesson of level 2 for beginners, we were given a final exam of sorts, in which we would use some of the beats and some of the fills and play along with a pre-recorded track.  The problems: first, the example set by the instructor was much faster than the speed we'd learned; second, the instructor used no sheet music and didn't expect us to use it, either.  Whoa.

It was all a blur to me, and judging from the comments, a good many others felt the same way.  The final exam didn't match the lessons.  I needed it to make sense, so I went back to the 2.5 lesson and made a copy of the sheet music for beats and fills.  Then I put on the instructor's final video and slowed it down to 50% speed so I could follow and figure out what he was doing. 

So it wasn't what they intended, but everything I need is now on one screen.  I copied a couple of beats from the left screen over to the right screen, and color-coordinated the order in which they were played.  Now I can follow what he did and play the same bars in the same order that he played them.  Memorization will have to wait, though.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment