Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Six or seven hours later

 After hours of reading and trying and failing and learning, I can say that while it's true that insanity consists of doing the same thing and expecting different results, it's also true that trying different things and getting the same results again and again (and again) isn't much better for one's mental health.

The new SSD is still empty.  The Acronis for Crucial has been uninstalled after yet another result of "you don't have a Crucial drive installed" and Macrium has been uninstalled after yet another result of "Error 9" while trying to clone the HDD to the SSD.  

To be completely honest, Macrium worked one time over those hours.  That was when I was cloning everything but the part of the HD that contains Windows boot information, and with that I learned that I am never going to be able to accomplish what I set out to do originally; that is, clone the old hard drive before it craps out and replace it with a bright new SSD as the new boot drive.  Cloning doesn't work when the source isn't 100% free of bad sectors.  

Oh well, I can still find another use for the Crucial drive.  Because I'm going to have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment