Thursday, November 9, 2023

A forgettable day

Woke up at 3:45 and couldn't get back to sleep.  Ended up on the sofa downstairs, listening to H.V. Kaltenborn describe the events of December 7, 1941.  At last, nodded off from 6:30 to 7:30, then got up, showered, and began the workday in the spare bedroom that serves as my WFH office.

Landscapers have been stripping away the old overgrown greenery, preparing to plant the new stuff.  Snapped some for-the-record pictures of the yard late in the afternoon today.  (That's where the wild radish came from.  It's about two feet from the wheelbarrow containing the workmen's tools.)

Drove PG to her physical therapy just before noon, dropped her off and took a walk around the parking lots of the medical facilities in the area.  That consumed 15 minutes, meaning I still had a half-hour or more before PT was done for the day.  I drove to the shopping center a mile or two further south, picking up a bagel and then going next door to the Dollar Tree.  

I had a bottle of cleaning liquid and was checking out the remaining Halloween special Tootsie Pops (9 in a package for $1.25 instead of the usual 6) when my phone rang.  PG wasn't feeling well and the therapist had recommended going to the doctor for a professional opinion.  I got back as fast as the traffic would allow.  

Symptoms had eased, but only a little, when Dr. V entered.  He prescribed rest and asked her to keep track of her vital signs over the weekend, then let him know on Monday.  No increase in meds or additional ones until then.  Conservative with the medications, which both PG and I appreciate.  

After we got back home, I realized I wasn't wearing my wedding ring.  I know I had it when I left, and I knew I didn't have it now.  Not in the car, not in the drawer where it usually is stored.  I tried retracing my steps and phoning the places I'd been.  The PT staff member was willing to help, more so than the person who picked up the phone at Dollar Tree, but no one was reporting that a ring had been found.  Stressed, I downed a 16-ounce Pepsi and ate five of the 9 Pops over the remainder of the day.  

I found the ring on the floor beneath my chair at the kitchen table.  Still don't know whether I'd dropped it, or whether I'd put it on the table and it had found the floor because of the actions of a Good Cat.  

Around 7:00, I booted up the TiVo and picked up where I'd left off in Bells Are Ringing.  My little cat joined me on the sofa, and I quickly laid a soft blanket over my legs so she would be comfortable.  I don't know whether she napped, but moments into the movie, I dropped off and didn't reawaken until close to 8:00.  That's why I'm still awake in the final minutes of Thursday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment