Sunday, January 2, 2022

In Another Time

It occurs to me that if I really wanted to do a blog now, I know what I'd do it about.   All I have to do is open up an old magazine or newspaper, read about someone I've never heard of, and let Google take its course.  

It's a natural:  I listen to pop-culture history podcasts like You Must Remember This and Cocaine and Rhinestones.  This afternoon, I loaded a bound volume of Cosmopolitan from the second half of 1922 and found some full-page portraits of women whose names were unknown to me.  I looked up one of them, Helen Lee Worthing, and learned that she'd been a pariah due to her marriage to a Black doctor.  

Of course, everything prior to 1926 is public domain, so there'd be no cost except for my time and my enthusiasm.  But for every good reason, there's one on the other side of the ledger.  I like the idea, but I'm not on fire for it.  Lacking the want-to is the big negative.  I already have a hobby right now, and loving on cats, learning about writing for cats, and doing my own writing for cats is plenty interesting enough.  (Maybe in retirement, though.)  

Anyway, other people have already beaten me to the idea.  This blog, for instance.


No comments:

Post a Comment