Tuesday, January 25, 2022

My Evening

After supper, I sat down in my rocker-recliner (here should go a tangent on picking out the chair in 2008 or 2009 at Royal Furniture in Emmaus, and how it's served so well that when a bolt broke under stress a few years ago, I gladly paid a repairman more than $100 to come over and fix it; he admired the workmanship and said that nowadays chairs are made with plastic instead of wood like this one).

- 6:00 - 6:30  A chapter of October 1964.  The Phil Linz part of the story.

- 6:30 - 7:00  Kaleidoscope from WMKV, Cincinnati.  Topic:  Jesse Owens.  Inevitably, I nap during part of it.  

- 7:00 - 7:20  Listened to Chapter 7, "Jeeves and Kid Clementina" from "Very Good, Jeeves".

- 7:30 - 8:15  New Yorker/Audm reading of the Books article about two new biographies of Buster Keaton.  During the article I learned about Robert E. Sherwood, original member of the Algonquin Round Table; speechwriter for FDR; author of three Pulitzer Prize-winning plays; author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning biography "Roosevelt and Hopkins"; Oscar-winning screenplay writer of "The Best Years of Our Lives."  How did I never hear of him before now?

- 8:15 - now   Taking a crash course on the full life of Robert E. Sherwood.  "On the other hand, a chapter on Robert Sherwood and Keaton is genuinely illuminating. Sherwood, now forgotten despite four Pulitzers and an Oscar..."  That got my attention.

Somewhere in there, Good Queen Swirly (TM), my Widdle Baby Durl (TM), got on my lap and stayed until after 9:30.  

Never did get around to watching the rest of Ball of Fire.  Tomorrow night, probably.

I don't always guzzle pop culture history the way I did this evening, but I should do it more often.  Way better than doomscrolling Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment