Friday, March 11, 2022

What's Up With That, Doc?

So I got a bonus at work, and just in time, because I need to fill up my gas tank and this should just about cover it.

But not only that, but Giant sent us coupons worth $10 off $50 of groceries and $2 off $5 of produce, and BB and I played them well, which reduced our bill this afternoon from $58 to $46.  Let's see, there was the $8 jar of Rao's marinara sauce, and the $1.29 Snickers ice cream bar, and another $3 left over of free-ness.  It makes me smile.

And to celebrate (hey, a man's gotta live) I splurged on a $1.99 movie rental from Amazon, "What's Up, Doc?"  A great screwball comedy, they called it, in the tradition of Hepburn and Grant, Stanwyck and Fonda, Stanwyck and Cooper, Lombard and Powell, and I'm cocking my head and trying to see what they're seeing.  

I mean, in the old screwballs, didn't comedy come from people being stuck with something they couldn't get rid of, and in this movie, I'm asking why the one guy needs to carry around the golf bag, and why Ryan O'Neal doesn't just set down the champagne glasses.  He could, it'd be easy, and then Peter Bogdanovich and Buck Henry could have looked for something funnier. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment