Wednesday, April 26, 2023

*Now* what is he doing?

Drumming update:  the sticks arrived on time, so I have no excuse.  

Plenty of videos out there, and the biggest problem is narrowing them down to those that can be useful to someone of my advanced years, and who had some experience with music in high school band, so an explanation of 4/4 time isn't needed.  Explain it to me like I'm five, but just the stuff I don't already know.

Everyone I've seen so far looks to have been playing for years, if not decades, and is doing something they were born with the talent and the drive to do.  If they can teach as well as play, then everything's going to be OK, because I'll put in the time.  

In my day job, I'm at the other end of that equation.  I do training with clients, and most importantly I know the subject.  I also like the subject, and I understand the importance of teaching it to someone else.  Now, I'm the student, and it helps me have a good idea of what I'm looking for in a teacher.  

Earlier this afternoon, I brought up a metronome app and tried a couple of exercises at 50 beats per minute.  Results were what you'd expect from someone with no experience.  But I got it all OK for a couple of beats, so that'll keep me coming back for more.  Reminds me of when I played golf; all it took was one or two good shots during a round to give me hope.  


PG and I just went for a walk in the neighborhood.  Usually, we go in the direction where the sidewalk remains flat, but today she wanted to go in the other direction, which has a gentle incline to it.  

In a few seconds, we saw two rabbits in the yard three houses away from ours.  It pays to listen to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment