Thursday, April 20, 2023

What is he doing?

Just for the record:

 -  Did my job for a full 8 hours today.  In addition:

 -  Walked around the neighborhood before sunset and saw two cottontails along the way.

 -  Looked up a recent paycheck to see what I'm paying for medical insurance, and compared that figure to the amount I might be paying for Medicare Part A, Part B, and Part D, along with the cost of Medigap coverage (everything Medicare doesn't cover).  I have multiple college degrees, and it's hard for me to keep it all straight.  Just imagine what someone else would have to understand.

 -  I read some more of Fred Allen's unfinished autobiography, "Much Ado About Me".  Kindle tells me I'm 85% finished, and I already know there's an index after the last chapter that is probably good for 5% right there.  

 -  After months of watching YouTube videos of Japanese pre-teen Yoyoka and German teen Sina, I'm interested in learning more about drumming.  I found a few absolute beginner instructional videos and can compare and contrast where they differ and where they are the same.  Right Foot/Bass Drum/on 1 and 3; Left Hand/Snare Drum on 2 and 4; Right Hand/Hi-Hat for 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and.  If I start slowly enough, I can duplicate that pattern.  One beginner video started with the bass drum, another with the dominant hand and the constant pattern.  

After the Drumming 101 lessons, I re-watched Sina drum along with Home At Last and recognized the Purdie Shuffle variations on the basic pattern.  The right foot does a little more than hit on one and three, and the high-hat is a shuffle instead of a simple straight eighth-note pattern.  Not saying I'll ever be able to play it myself, and I'm positive I'll never try duplicating Steve Gadd's work on Aja.  I wasn't born with that kind of talent.  If I had been, it would have appeared long before age 66.  

Funny thing, though; in the comments of the videos, not just once, but several times, the writer would admit to being 45, or 61, or 64, and only now starting to learn now to play, just like me.  

In my early 20's, a lady I was dating taught me the moves to juggle three balls.  I kept trying, and eventually got a good grip on the technique.  And that's where my juggling education ended.  No desire to learn five balls, or a cascade, or bouncing the balls instead of tossing them up in the air.  That's how I'm looking at drumming now.  On Sunday I should receive two pairs of Chinese-made maple drumsticks, and I'll substitute them for the pencils I've been using to tap on the legal pads atop my desk.  I'm not going to eat, drink, or sleep this thing, but just have fun with it.

So I'm reading, taking pictures of cats and preparing them for publication, socializing cats, and now teaching myself basic drumming.  Doesn't leave time for TV, does it?  And when all that is done, I sometimes write about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment