Tuesday, March 7, 2023

My Tuesday

Well, it's like this.  I wanted a cardigan to wear around the house.  Nothing too heavy or too warm, just something in cotton for fall through spring.  There was something cheap on the Amazon site, and something nice on the LL Bean site, but neither had me jumping for my wallet.  

Not expecting anything, I looked at eBay and found a perfectly good Bean cardigan ("pre-owned", but it looked fresh, not worn, in the several accompanying pictures) in an online consignment shop.  Plus there was a 20%-off coupon that basically covered the postage. $35 for something that goes for more than twice that when new.  It'll be here next week.

Other e-buys:  talked BB into getting a 12-ounce container to hold her evaporated milk, replacing the old small syrup bottle.  She had some cash back coming, so she paid only a bit over half the list price.

Another triumph of hope over experience?  Years ago, I subscribed to Le Monde, paying directly with a U.S. credit card.  That lasted until mid-2021, when that card was compromised and a new one issued.  I didn't notify them of the new card number, and that ended that.  Inertia alone had been keeping me a subscriber, since to unsub back then required sending a written request to Paris via registered mail.  

Now it's possible to subscribe via Google Pay.  Same credit card, but in 2023 the control is in my Google account. Since I'd been away for a couple of years, I got a new-subscriber rate of about $6 per month.  That's about how much we're paying for WaPo.  A loaded version of the Times, containing games, Wirecutter, the Athletic, and the food section, is setting us back $25 a month.

Baked a crumb cake for BB, using a recipe from Sugar Spun Run.  One edit: she says the crumb buns she liked best growing up weren't as moist as cake, so I cut down on the brown sugar and substituted white sugar.  We had to make a short run to Aldi for sour cream, and she helped put the crumb mixture together and spread it over the cake batter.  Forty-five minutes later, I took it out and we both had a small warm piece.  Verdict: while it isn't the crumb buns she enjoyed as a young resident of New Jersey, it's still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment