Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Our Day

 Awake at 8:00, in the office and logged in by 8:15.  Corporate OneDrive hadn't worked in days, but yesterday I followed (mostly) instructions from IT and got it to work.  However, when I logged in today, it didn't start. The little whirl just kept circling and circling, just as it had done all day, every day, until yesterday afternoon.

Client Zoom calls at 9:30 and 11:00.  I didn't listen enough in the second call.  The client asked a question and I began to answer before she was done talking.  

Washed hair for the first time since the day after my Friday afternoon haircut. Short hair is really good that way.  

At noon, drove PG to her doctor, just to hand in the BP readings she kept track of over the past month.

Then to Trexlertown Giant, where we managed to find enough bargains to spend $103.01.  (The credit card reader didn't ask whether I wanted to donate 99 cents to a good cause.)  Grocery prices are way higher than inflation would seem to indicate.  

I almost bought a bag of chocolate chips from the clearance table, but just in time saw that they were non-dairy, made with oat milk.  Gack.  Next to it was another bag of chips, this brand made with stevia.  Ay caramba.

In Giant at the checkout was a one-shot magazine with its subject the music of the 1960's.  I wasn't really aware back then, but I feel confident that in 1963 there were no checkout magazines with headlines about the music of 1903.  

This is one of the two fat months of the year for me.  Pension payment hits the account on the 1st, and... oh wait a minute. Just because there are five Thursdays in March doesn't necessarily mean I get paid on 1, 3, and 5.  In actuality, the money comes through on 2 and 4.  But come June, it'll be pension on the 1st, and payday on 1, 15, and 29.  Not many of those months left in my working life.

The thought occurs that the boss should be phoning me soon with word about my upcoming pay increase.  If I got what I got last March, a nice increase paired with a nice bonus, I'll be well pleased.

Celebrated pension payday with a bottle of Mountain Dew from the Dollar-and-a-Quarter Store.  Looked for a Lindt bar for PG, but they had none, and I didn't see a bare spot on the shelf where they used to be. Has Lindt dropped that store chain?  They can't make money selling that size chocolate bar at that price?  Probably yes and probably no, to hear them tell it.

Got the notification that the electronic bank transfer from the local credit union to a different online account went through. If only they'd taken the cash from the account I wanted them to use. I know, I know, first world problems.

And no one in a third world country below a certain economic level would care about LastPass and its security woes. But me, I'm concerned enough to research and download a replacement. Pretty smooth transition so far, too.  There's still more than a week left in the free trial period, and LastPass has been deleted from my phone and its extension removed from Chrome.  I think PG uses Apple's password keeper on her iPad, rather than LastPass.

PG and I saw a robin on the ground at the corner of Auburn and Grange roads. I spotted two tiny speedwell flowers amid the remaining snow behind the house. There wasn't much snow yesterday, for which you can thank me, since I dragged the snow thrower from the shed to the house in preparation for the predicted 2-to-3 inches. It's March, and I have yet to shovel any snow since last winter.   

Yesterday, Big Brown delivered the Le Creuset mixing bowl that I chose from the selections which my employer made available as Xmas presents. Included with the bowl was a small bag of pancake mix, so after BB washed the bowl, I used it to make the pancakes for supper.  

Watched Beyond Paradise with PG while Kit sat on her lap and Good Queen Swirly leaned against my leg under her soft fleece blanket.  Lead character and girlfriend were in bed, and each called out a good night to the GF's mother. I quickly added "Good night, John-boy" and got a snicker from PG. 

Let's see, I made a donation to TP for the company's charity drive and earned two half-days off as a reward. Also entered volunteer time worked into company database and applied for a grant to go to TP.  That application was accepted yesterday morning. Finally, someone had a fundraiser for TP in Facebook and I put in a few more bucks.  It's all good for the cats.

Late in the afternoon, I looked over the status of the IT support tickets and wrote separate follow-up emails to IT for all of them.  Why are SnagIt and Acrobat in my list of software if I can't access them?  The snipping tool advises me to try its coming successor and to use Win/Shift/S as a keyboard shortcut.  That doesn't work, either. Don't forget the ongoing issues with OneDrive, either.  

On each email detailing the problems and IT's failure to get things working, I copied the boss, just so he's aware.  Escalation, here we come.  Maybe IT will listen to him.

Watched S2E2 of Yes, Minister. A few minutes of Chris Hayes, a few minutes of weather. Learned about The Melting of Molly, a trashy novel that was one of the top sellers of 1912, and downloaded a copy from Gutenberg.  Dropbox demanded  a password to permit Gutenberg's content, and LastPass's replacement came through without a hitch. 

Listened to some more French.  And so to bed, 900 words later.

No comments:

Post a Comment