Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday Evening Post

On the ongoing effort to install the replacement password manager everywhere:  Figured out what I was doing wrong on the iPad, so that's done.  Then installed it on PG's PC upstairs.  First I had to update a couple of drivers on her 4-year-old machine, and reboot it.  Then the actual installation process.  Briefly, there was a situation when I couldn't proceed with installation on her PC because the password software installation security procedure sent a code to Gmail, and I couldn't get to Gmail because I couldn't get the password from the new, as-yet-uninstalled password manager.

Nevertheless, I persisted.  So now LastPass is gone and the replacement is working on her PC, my PC, the laptop downstairs, and both iPads, as well as on my phone.  That's everything, for which I'm grateful. That's all the detail I'm going into; I'm stretching things in thinking someone might be interested in the simple fact that we have a new password manager.  No sense going beyond that to expect anybody to care about all the steps (and mis-steps) required to accomplish it.  

In the further adventures of Handyman John:  Maybe I mentioned it already, but our refrigerator has a water dispenser and takes periodic filter replacements.  Somewhere in 2020, I'm guessing based on the receipt (literal, not the figurative sense used nowadays), I tried replacing the existing filter with a freshly-purchased one, but with the new one in place, no water was dispensed.  I forget what else happened back then, but what's beyond dispute is that I gave up.  I learned that the dispenser could work without the filter, so I re-installed the filter cap and left it at that.  

Two-plus years later, I scooped cat boxes in the basement like I do every day, and also like every day, behind the boxes I saw the pair of uninstalled filters on the shelf along the wall.  On this occasion, unlike every one before that day, I chose to ignore the fact that they're the same filters that didn't work in 2020.  Yes, yes, "doing the same thing and expecting different results" and all that, but I wasn't expecting different results.  I just wanted to refresh my memory, re-create the problem, and hoped to learn something that might help solve the problem.  

Can you guess what happened next?  I unwrapped a filter, used a flashlight to take a good look inside the area where the filter's supposed to go, and slid that filter inside until it locked in place.  And yes sir, the dispenser dispensed copious amounts of water, much of which splashed onto the floor around the fridge.   

So then, what was the difference between 2020 and 2023?  Installed incorrectly then, done correctly now?  There just aren't that many ways a filter can be installed and click in, that's just how they're engineered.  I think I read somewhere that the water line might have been frozen, and while I doubt that, it could be that the filter was properly installed, but that when the cover at the bottom of the fridge was re-installed, I put a kink in the water line.  

I'm leaning toward that, though I tried more than once back then, and doubt that it would have kinked in the same way more than once.  And hey, there's always the possibility that maybe there's a statutory limit or something on that kind of malfunction.  "Ho-ho, the two years are up -- time to get back to work!"  

But put that on the list of recent accomplishments that include fresh-baked homemade chocolate chip cookies (and for extra credit, cleaning up afterward); finding, ordering and installing a mechanism to fix the clock that broke years ago when it fell off the mantle; and replacing the password manager on every internet-facing device in the house.   


No comments:

Post a Comment