Thursday, December 14, 2023

Early Thursday Morning

This was the kind of night I had regularly before starting drum lessons.  Sit down in the recliner, put on the headphones and take a nap.  Wake up and go down rabbit holes until midnight.

"We Hold These Truths" - never had heard of Norman Corwin until an episode of Fred Allen's CBS show from the early 1940's.  Well-known then, forgotten in later years, but lived long enough (1910-2011) to return to public regard as people rediscovered his early work.  A week after Pearl Harbor, this show was broadcast on all four networks simultaneously and reached an audience of 63 million.   

The National Recording Registry - Holds the original recording of We Hold These Truths and a lot more, including Aja.  Read about Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Nat G. Wells, Mary Margaret McBride, the 1925 inauguration of Calvin Coolidge, and on and on I went.  

Eventually, put on an episode of The New Yorker's Political Scene and played mindless Fishdom for the first time in weeks for the 35-minute length of the program.  Osnos, Mayer, and Glasser bat around topics in the news, and entertainingly enough so that I put aside my usual disdain for unscripted podcasts.  Give me You Must Remember This or Cocaine and Rhinestones, tell me a story, preferably about a time before I was born.  

I can understand why Karina Longworth wrote so much about the films of the 80's and 90's, because that's what she grew up with and it was something she had a lot to say about.  But I still go back to the MGM season or the Dead Blondes season to listen again, and I'm pretty sure I'll never do that with Erotic Eighties or Erotic Nineties.

Tomorrow, uh, later today, back to normal.  Eat less, drum more.


No comments:

Post a Comment