Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Less Eventful, mostly

Today's event:  a cap fell off one of PG's teeth, leaving a sharp stub behind.  She phoned her dentist, but got no answer and no return call, so I looked for something I didn't know existed:  an over-the-counter tooth repair kit.  Not entirely surprisingly, they do exist, and after supper we went to the Walgreen's down the street and picked one up.  It'll do until she can get an appointment for a professional job.

Years ago, there was a webpage called The End of Free, documenting the gradual shift toward no-holds-barred capitalism on the internet.  I submitted an entry back then with the story of a person who advertised free web sites, and who later tacked on mandatory fees while nominally retaining the no-cost price tag on sites.  

Free is still out there, if you're in the right place at the right time.  I was telling PG that I wouldn't have started learning the drums if it hadn't been for the YouTube videos that showed me it could be done, and the emergence of Moises, which splits songs into separate "stems", or audio files, of vocals, bass, drums, and all else at no cost*.  

* - Five songs per month, no longer than five minutes each.  

With a drum stem, I can use Audacity (free open-source audio editor) to slow down the part until I can understand it.  

No Quality Time with any cat tonight, but PG and I watched Graham Norton together, and I made some chocolate pudding from a recipe by Epicurious.  After she went upstairs, I went downstairs and broke down some cardboard boxes for recycling.  The basement looked so cluttered a few weeks ago, but come to find it out, a lot of the objects that were taking up space were just the empty boxes from a microwave, a PC, and a toaster oven, to name just three.  

Ongoing project:  Gathering tax documents.  Notifications are trickling in daily, and I've been diligent about fetching them from the individual websites.  All we need now are her Social Security and her pension 1099.  

No comments:

Post a Comment