Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Tuesday night, on Monday afternoon

Went to visit the cats on Monday.  Left at 11:15 and planned to take a route along the river to see how much higher than usual it is.  Instead, there was a detour that took me miles away from the river, and I had to defy the map app to get back there.  


That was the view from here:


Since I had to go out of my way, it took longer than the usual 1 hour-to-75 minutes to get to the cat sanctuary.  By the time I got in town, I was ready for a meal, and stopped at a small independent deli.  The deli was empty except for me and the man on duty, and while I waited for him to make my sandwich, I noted the other items that were available.  

On my left, a large screen that displayed quick state lottery games and counted down the seconds until the next one.  On the right, a cooler containing alcoholic beverages, highly-sweetened soft drinks, and probably some liquids that had both.  

Directly in front of me were packages of loose tobacco, rolling papers, pipes, and smoking paraphernalia.  If they specified anything, they made sure to insert "tobacco" in the product name.  Say no more.

Interspersed among the products designed to put smoke in your lungs were products designed to put nicotine-laced water vapor and who knows what else in your lungs.

What, no mass-produced cakes and cookies, no semi-recent fried dough?  I must not have been looking in the right place.  The man handed me my lunch-meat-on-white-bun, I paid for it and a 16-ounce Pepsi, and got back on the road.  

"If you have a vice, a habit, a weakness, this place has something to temporarily satisfy it.  For a price, of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment