Monday, April 12, 2021

Over and done with

Maybe it's the spring weather, maybe it's something else, but I feel more like plowing into some tasks that have been out there for awhile.  You've been told already about photo tagging using Adobe Bridge.  

Yesterday and today, I went through a half-dozen hard drives that had been used for data backup prior to Dropbox.  At the end of the day, I had two re-formatted 1 TB hard drives and two Apricorn external enclosures holding them.  

The third Apricorn enclosure that only worked with ATA drives and FireWire output is in the trash, as is a Macally enclosure that held a couple of 250 GB drives and didn't power up.  There was no market for either enclosure on eBay.  

Knowing obsolete when I see it, joining the enclosures soon to be taken to the road are a small pile of hard drives to be drilled, hammered, and generally ruined beyond repair, then placed in a bag of used kitty litter and dropped in the trash.  I've already done that to one of them, and damn if it didn't feel good.  Even remembering how much they cost doesn't faze me -- they served their purpose, and now there's something else in that role.  

No comments:

Post a Comment